ISO 14001/Living Forest, PEFC
There is an increasing awareness to preserve the forests and the nature found within them. Whether you are a manufacturer of products that come directly from the forests or an organization that does not use products directly from the forests, there is still a social responsibility to preserve these environments.
Nemko offers the following solutions to ensure that your organization meets the requirements for preserving the forest and the environments surrounding them:
ISO 14001 helps the organization to manage its environmental impact and is fundamental for environmental improvements.
Certification to this environmental management system is an effective means to achieve credibility. Certification to ISO 14001 is helpful in achieving market access in areas when a good reputation related to environmental awareness is important and where effective environmental management is a criterion for becoming a supplier.
ISO 14001 includes elements to ensure the following:
- All environmental aspects are identified
- Environmental aspects will be controlled to prevent a negative environmental impact
- Continuous improvement in regards to the environmental impact is a requirement
- External recognition
- Better rates from insurance companies
- Better credibility for obtaining financing
- Increased credibility in relation to customers
Living Forest is a co-operative project between the forestry, the forest industry, the trade unions, outdoor recreation organizations and environmental organizations. It promotes ecologically sustainable forestry with a good balance between wood production, environment protection and social interests.
The Living Forest standard is being used as an important basis for forest certification in Norway together with ISO 14001
PEFC – Chain of Custody
Pan European Forest Certification (PEFC) – Chain of Custody (CoC), is a program to ensure that wood used in various products is coming from environmentally certified forests.
PEFC ensures the following:
- Assurance to purchasers of wood and paper products that they are promoting the sustainable management of forests