ISO 14001 - Environmental management system
ISO 14001:2015 helps the organization to manage its environmental aspects and is fundamental for environmental improvements.
Certification to this environmental management system is an effective means to achieve credibility. It has been shown that certification to ISO 14001 helps in achieving market access in areas where a good reputation related to environmental awareness is important and where effective environmental management is a criteria for being approved as a supplier.
Compliance with ISO 14001:2015 shall ensure the following:All important environmental aspects are identified
- Control of the environmental aspects to prevent a negative environmental impact
- Continuous improvement in regards to the environmental impact is a requirement
- External recognition
- Better deals with insurance companies
- Better credibility associated with financing
- Increased credibility in relation to customers
- General cost savings by minimizing waste (of energy, materials, etc.)
How does the certification process work?
The main purpose of the system audits is to identify potential for improvements of the organization’s environmental aspects.
The certification process consists of two phases:
- Phase 1 normally consists of a visit to the business in order to review the status of the organization, system documentation, infrastructure, etc. This assesses the maturity of the environmental management system.
- Phase 2 is the certification audit aiming to verify that the system documentation meets the requirements of ISO 14001- standard. The certification audit will give feedback to the organization on issues that are not in conformance with the standard and that need to be corrected before a certificate can be issued.
The certificate will be valid for 3 years after being granted. During this period, annual surveillance audits will be conducted.