Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) Canada regulates the radio spectrum for all transmitters and defines the requirements for approval and certification of radio, consumer electronics and communications devices. The ISED regulations covering radio devices are structured within RSS-GEN (General Requirements for Compliance of Radio Apparatus) which covers certification procedures, including technical and administrative requirements as well as various other radio specific Radio Specification Standards that are dependent upon the transmitting frequency and product category.
All equipment that falls within ISED’s Category I equipment standards list must be certified before they are imported, distributed, leased, offered for sale or sold in Canada.
As a leading testing and certification body in Nemko provides testing and independent ISED certification services that will enable your products to be marketed and sold quickly in Canada. Our team of experienced experts with a deep understanding of ISED compliance and broad combined industry experience. Our engineering team brings years of direct laboratory experience, across a wide segment of transmitter products and radio services.
Nemko also provides the following additional ISED related services for manufacturers and suppliers of radio and terminal equipment:
- Pre-compliance product evaluation - Our pre-compliance investigations can identify potential issues with a product at an early stage of product development.
- Compliance advisory - Compliance strategy guidance will help prepare the product for formal testing. We can also help determine the appropriate ISED certification service category (i.e., New Single, New Family, Add Model to Existing Family, Multiple Listing, C1PC, C2PC, C3PC, C4PC) for the product and identify which radio tests and standards are necessary.
Manufacturers who wish to sell mobile communications, telecom, and other products capable of radio communication in Canada must have their products certified compliant by a Certification Body (CB) appointed by ISED before being placed on the Canadian market. Testing is required to be performed by an ISED recognized wireless testing laboratory.
Radio products can only be placed on the Canadian market once they comply with ISED Canada’s legal and technical requirements. After obtaining a Type Acceptance Certificate from an ISED recognized Certification Body, the product is listed in the ISED Radio Equipment List (REL), after which it can be marketed and sold onto the market.
As an ISED appointed CB and recognized third-party testing services provider, we can assess and issue equipment approvals for all ISED Radio Specification Standards (RSS). The RSS all fall within the following five scopes:
- Radio Scope 1 – License-exempt Radio Frequency Devices
- Radio Scope 2 – Licensed Personal Mobile Radio Services
- Radio Scope 3 – Licensed General Mobile and Fixed Radio Services
- Radio Scope 4 – Licensed Maritime and Aviation Radio Services
- Radio Scope 5 – Licensed Fixed Microwave Radio Services.
A full list of ISED Radio equipment standards and Interference- Causing Equipment Standards are provided on the ISED Canada website.
Our global footprint includes accredited laboratories throughout North America, Europe, and Asia with experience in testing and approving products with accreditation according to ISO/IEC standards in relation to EMC, Radio and RF Exposure requirements. For certification, test reports can be accepted from ISED recognized accredited laboratories.
Nemko is also a recognized Telecommunications Certification Body for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Performing ISED Canada and FCC testing and certification simultaneously saves you time, effort and money and enables access to both markets seamlessly.