Effective environmental management, including ISO 14001 certification, not only enhances an organization’s credibility, it can also help secure market access and is increasingly a criterion for being approved as a supplier.
What are the benefits of ISO 14001:2015 certification?
ISO 14001:2015 certification shall ensure the following:
- All important environmental aspects are identified
- Control of the environmental aspects to prevent a negative environmental impact
- Continuous improvement in regards to the environmental impact is a requirement
- Minimizing waste (of energy, materials, etc.) reduces cost
- External recognition
- Better terms with insurance companies
- Better credibility associated with financing
- Increased credibility in relation to customers and stakeholders
- Nemko has a lean organization with an effective decision-making process and quick turnaround
- Auditors have valuable experience and inspire a culture of constant improvement
- They value communication with customers
- Observations and comments are clearly expressed to ensure measurable improvement
- The approach is practical and down-to-earth
- The auditor is responsible for the customer during the entire audit process and audit cycle
The certification process consists of two phases:
- Phase 1consists of an audit of the business in order to review the status of the organization, system documentation, infrastructure, etc. This assesses the maturity of the system.
- Phase 2is the certification audit, aiming to verify that the system documentation meets the requirements of the standard. The certification audit will give feedback to the organization on issues that are not in conformance with the standard and that need to be corrected before a certificate can be issued.