- Building inspection
- Fire alarms system testing
- Household appliances
- Installation materials
- Industrial machinery
- IT & audio video
- Laboratory, test & measurement
- Lighting equipment
- Maritime, oil & gas
- Medical & healthcare equipment
- Military & aerospace product testing
- Wireless & telecom
From 1 January 2021, the UKCA mark is the conformity assessment marking needed for Great Britain (England, Wales, and Scotland) for most goods currently subject to CE marking
UPDATE: The UKCA marking deadline has been extended until 31 December 2024.
However, to allow businesses to adjust to the new requirements, manufacturers are able to apply CE marking (without UKCA marking) until 1 January 2025 where the EU and UK requirements are the same - although one is encouraged to start using UKCA marking as soon as possible.
You can only place CE-marked goods that meet EU requirements on the market in Great Britain while UK and EU requirements are the same. This is currently broadly the case, however, differences in applicable EU and UK standards have started being noticed in July 2021. For example, the latest published EU Radio Equipment Directive harmonized standard list does not entirely align with the UK Radio Equipment Regulations designated standard list.
If any of the following applies, the CE marking will be accepted until 1 January 2025
- Your company currently applies the CE marking to your goods based on self-declaration.
- Any mandatory third-party conformity assessment was carried out by an EU-recognized notified body (including a body in a country with which the EU has a relevant mutual recognition agreement)
- The certificate of conformity previously held by the UK approved body has been transferred to a notified body which is EU-recognized prior to 1 January 2021
Which goods are excluded from the extension period?
- Goods regulated under the old approach (chemicals, medicines, veterinary medicines, vehicles, and aerospace)
- Goods covered by national rules (non-harmonized)
- Certain other goods, such as medical devices*, constructions products, civil explosives, and products requiring eco-design and energy labelling.
* The UK’s MRHA will continue to recognize the CE mark for medical devices until 30 June 2025
Please be aware of the following:
- The UKCA marking can be used from 1 January 2021.
- The CE marking will only be valid in Great Britain where Great Britain and EU rules remain the same. If the EU changes its rules and the product is CE marked, the CE marked might not be permitted to be placed onto the GB market.
- The UKCA marking alone cannot be used in Northern Ireland, which will require either CE marking or UK(NI) marking. For guidance see placing goods on the Northern Ireland market (on UK Government website).
If you are an importer, you’ll need to make sure that from 1 January 2021:
- goods are labeled with your company’s details, including your company’s name and a contact address (until 31 December 2024 you can provide these details on the accompanying documentation rather than on the good itself)
- the correct conformity assessment procedures have been carried out and that goods have the correct conformity markings.
- the manufacturer has drawn up the correct technical documentation and complied with their labeling requirements.
- you maintain a copy of the declaration of conformity for 10 years.
- goods conform with the relevant essential requirements.
You must comply with the above immediately for goods placed on the GB market from 1 January 2021, for both CE and UKCA marked goods.
For guidance, see placing manufactured goods on the market in Great Britain from 1 January 2021 (on UK Government site)
Notified Body & Approved Body
UK notified bodies ceased to exist as EU notified bodies on 31 December 2020. Therefore, if a manufacturer had an EU Type Examination Certification issued from a UK-based notified body, then they were required to transfer their certification to another Notified Body outside of the UK, to continue CE marking in the EU member states or Northern Ireland.
Nemko is a Notified Body for the following EU directives:
- Radio Equipment Directive (RED): 2014/53/EU
- Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) Directive: 2014/30/EU
- Marine Equipment Directive (MED): 2014/90/EU
- Equipment for potentially explosive atmospheres (ATEX): 2014/34/EU
- Construction products (CPR): No 305/2011
Nemko is an Approved Body for the following UK regulations:
Disclaimer: The information might be subject to ongoing changes. For the latest information, please visit the UK government websites
Contact us today to begin your certification journey, and we'll be happy to discuss your requirements.
Call: +91 9205690574