- Building inspection
- Fire alarms system testing
- Household appliances
- Installation materials
- Industrial machinery
- IT & audio video
- Laboratory, test & measurement
- Lighting equipment
- Maritime, oil & gas
- Medical & healthcare equipment
- Military & aerospace product testing
- Wireless & telecom
What is Radio Equipment Directive (RED) ?
Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU applies to all types of radio equipment (for European market access (CE Marking)). Compared to the predecessor, the R&TTE Directive, broadcast receivers are now considered radio receivers and are consequently subject to the Radio Equipment Directive. Telecommunications terminal equipment has been removed from its scope and now re-appears under the EMC Directive and the Low Voltage Directive, whenever applicable. This directive is meant to cover present needs better as well as serving future needs for the secure performance and safety of radio equipment, such as that resulting from the ‘wireless revolution’.
Why we need radio Equipment Directive (RED) ?
The number of devices that use radio/wireless communication interfaces is growing at a rapid pace. All manufacturers and importers must ensure that their products comply with regulatory standards for health, safety, radio performance, electromagnetic compatibility, and quality.
Significant changes under the RED include:
- The exclusion of telecom terminal equipment (TTE)
- The inclusion of cable and wiring equipment
- New guidance on labeling, marking, documentation and market surveillance.
- No voltage limits for radio equipment
The essential requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive are:
Art. 3.1a. Protection of health and safety of the user and any other person
Art. 3.1b. Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC)
Art. 3.2. Effective use of the radio spectrum to avoid harmful interference
Art. 3.3 Special requirements
Why RED CE Mark is important ?
The number of products classified under RED growing at a rapid pace. To legally sell these products in the EU and European Economic Area (EEA), manufacturers and importers/exporters must ensure their product displays a CE mark. Failure to do so may result in strict legal actions.
The Benefits of working with Nemko
1. By choosing Nemko as your market access partner , you will be working with experienced processionals focused on delivery via the optimal route to product compliance and testing as well as can guide you towards the right path for certification.
2. Nemko provides a fast turnaround time, helping to get your products to market in as little time as possible.
3. We assists manufacturers, importers, and distributors in meeting their obligations under the directive. We provide guidance on RED requirements, as well as testing and certification service.
Please subscribe to our newsletter to get latest updates on CE marking:
Anshuman Dash is a product compliance specialist & marketing professional having extensive years of experience in many standards & regulatory requirements. He has a Bachelor Degree in Engineering from "Institute of Technical Education & Research" , Bhubaneswar and currently pursuing Masters. Along with International...