- Building inspection
- Fire alarms system testing
- Household appliances
- Installation materials
- Industrial machinery
- IT & audio video
- Laboratory, test & measurement
- Lighting equipment
- Maritime, oil & gas
- Medical & healthcare equipment
- Military & aerospace product testing
- Wireless & telecom
Environmental concerns mean low-GWP refrigerants are increasingly replacing high-GWP refrigerants. Considering low-GWP refrigerants have a less negative impact on the ozone layer, this is a positive transition. But there is a trade-off. Contrary to many high-GWP refrigerants, low-GWP refrigerants are often flammable . This poses new requirements for manufacturers to perform the relevant safety testing to ensure consumers can safely use the product.
Nemko offers the following tests
To keep consumers safe and ensure compliance, manufacturers must test that there is no leakage when the products are in use or being transported and, thus, no subsequent risk for explosion. We support this through two tests:
1. Transport simulation test: Checks for flammable gas leakage under transportation and use.
2. Leak simulation test: Simulation of gas leakage at weak point(s) in the product to assess consequences. This test is only performed in exposed areas of the product to determine concentration and risk of explosion.
- IEC-60335-2-11: Particular requirements for tumble dryers
- IEC-60335-2-40: Particular requirements for electrical heat pumps, air-conditioners and dehumidifiers.
- IEC-60335-2-24: Particular requirements for refrigerating appliances, ice-cream appliances and ice makers.
- IEC-60335-2-89: Particular requirements for commercial refrigerating appliances and ice-makers with an incorporated or remote refrigerant unit or motor-compressor.
- IEC-60335-2-75: Particular requirements for commercial dispensing appliances and vending machines.
Services offered to supplement testing
If your company is considering transitioning to low-GWP refrigerants in a product, Nemko can help you navigate the compliance landscape through the following services:
- We give you an introduction to the relevant standards and how best to address the different requirements.
- You can present your product/design and receive good advice on how to proceed.
- GAP analysis: We perform an analysis of the gaps between your existing product and your new product – and outline any gaps between design and relevant standard(s).
- Constructional evaluation: Detailed evaluation of your product construction design and clarification of any challenges that need measuring.
- Pre-testing:Test your product early in development to identify non-conformities. This can prevent costly re-design at a later stage.
Gain an overview of the national and international certification marks your product will need to gain access to the markets where you want to sell it.
Nemko can support a safe transition to low global warming potential (GWP) refrigerants
A selection of refrigerants Nemko can test:
• R290 (Propane)
• R600 (Butane)
• R600a (Isobutane)
Other posts you might be interested in
5 steps to prepare for the transition to low-GWP refrigerants
October 24, 2022
// Household appliances
Product Safety Certification: 5 Simple Steps to Compliance
December 1, 2020
// Product certification
New electric beauty care appliance standard published: IEC 60335-2-115
August 27, 2021
// Product certification