- Building inspection
- Fire alarms system testing
- Household appliances
- Installation materials
- Industrial machinery
- IT & audio video
- Laboratory, test & measurement
- Lighting equipment
- Maritime, oil & gas
- Medical & healthcare equipment
- Military & aerospace product testing
- Wireless & telecom
A field evaluation is a process whereby products that do not have a certification acceptable to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), owner or other regulatory body can be evaluated to the applicable product safety standard(s) for the specific application and location where the product is being utilized. The process includes construction inspection for use of components, assembly and limited nondestructive testing to complete the assessment.
- Documentation: A current and complete set of schematics, installation instructions, and an electrical parts lists (if available).
- Support personal from the manufacturer and/or the end user is needed at the installation site to operate the equipment and perform assembly/disassembly of the product.
- Equipment must be powered and functional to complete the evaluation.
2. Constructional Evaluation:
A visual inspection of the product is performed, and photographs taken, with particular attention to the following:
- Use of “listed” or “recognized” components
- Suitability of components for application
- Proper overcurrent protection
- Proper wiring sizes
- Wiring methods
- Grounding methods
- Acceptable isolation
- Guarding of live parts
- Acceptable markings
- Damaged components
- Obvious hazards
When the product is deemed acceptable for energizing, testing is performed, including but not limited to:
- Input current and voltage
- Temperature rise testing
- Grounding Continuity testing
- Emergency Machine Off and Safety Interlock testing
- Current Leakage testing
- Insulation Resistance Testing and/or Dielectric Voltage Withstand Testing
After the evaluating engineer verifies the corrections, performs any remaining test(s), and determines the product to be acceptable and in compliance with the applicable standard(s), a NEMKO USA, Inc. serialized field label will be affixed to the product where plainly visible. Re-examination may be required to determine acceptability when modifications affect the construction, use, or operating environment of a previously accepted product. The authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) determines final acceptance.
5. Final Report
The evaluating engineer will issue a verification letter stating compliance to the requirements of the applicable code(s) or standard(s). The letter will include the product model, serial number and the corresponding Nemko USA, Inc. field label number. A copy of the verification letter is provided to the customer and AHJ when applicable.
How can we help?
Conformance to the relevant inspection and field labeling requirements is a prerequisite for local authorities to grant permission for your equipment to be placed into service. Nemko is a flexible and service-oriented provider, with the expertise to support your needs. Driven by a genuine intention to help make the world a safer place, we aim to develop services that can help our clients deploy compliant products that meet local and national requirements.
Gary Richards is the key account manager of Field Evaluation Services for Nemko USA. Gary has over 19 years of experience working in and around the regulatory compliance industry. With a focus on Field Evaluation and Machinery projects, his motivation and passion is working with manufacturers to help them quickly and...
Other posts you might be interested in
Product Safety Certification: 5 Simple Steps to Compliance
December 1, 2020
// Product certification
Field Evaluation: Dealing with “Red Tagged” Equipment in the Field
July 1, 2021
// Field evaluation services (FES)
Nemko recently accredited by ANAB- Provide Sanitation Field Evaluation
August 16, 2021
// Field evaluation services (FES)